Selling and Letting Solutions

Trustmark Ecmk


Commercial EPC



An Energy Performance Certificate rates how energy efficient your building is using grades from A to G


When you need an EPC

- If you rent out or sell the premises

- If a building under construction is finished

- If there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve

   providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems


When you must display one

- If the total useful floor area is over 500 square meters

- If the building is frequently visited by the public

- If an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction



You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:


- Listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it

  a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less

- Used as a place of worship or for other religious activities

- An industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy

- A detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres

- Due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents


A building is also exempt if all of the following are true

- It’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession

- It’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped

- The buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it



You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you don’t make an EPC

available to any prospective buyer or tenant.